Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's all about balance


You can be a bright, ambitious, hard working young man that is looking to find his way in life, but there comes a moment in time when you realize that in order to obtain the perfect mix of factors that will help you grow, both personally and professionally, you also need luck to be on your side. Let's put it this way: you want to make a cookie, you chose only the best ingredients, get the mix ready, but you forget to use the baking powder. The result: something that tastes acceptable, that could have been an excellent cookie, but it isn't because a "magic" ingredient was missing.
I am not stating that without having the God of Fortune on your side you will not be able to accomplish some of your youth dreams, I'm only stating that luck is playing a vital role throughout our mere existence.
Although vital, having luck on your side is not enough. You also have to be able to notice and exploit the opportunities "generated" by having luck on your side and also accept and be patient in those moments when luck seems to be missing. Acceptance and patience does not equal resigning in front of the challenges ahead, but having the maturity and the right amount of patience that will allow you to get over the obstacles in front you and bring luck back on your side again.
By luck I do not understand inheriting a large amount of money or winning the lottery (although none of the options are to be ignored :) ), but the chance to meet the right people, to be in the right place at the right time, to have great friends that support you in whatever you do without being afraid to criticise you, to have some amazing parents, etc.
Now assuming that you have the qualities mentioned above (smart, hard working, etc), the God of Fortune on your side and you're on the road of great personal success, there is another variable that you have to consider: balance. Always strive for maintaining the right balance between what you expect from life and what you give back.
I consider myself one of the lucky persons, as I had the chance (luck) to meet great people that turned out to also be amazing friends and have great parents that never told me what to do but rather guided me and supported me in whatever I wanted to do. Furthermore, chance once more decided to be generous with me by helping me encounter a great person and professional, that besides guiding me throughout my professional life also offered me some valuable life lessons.
The moral of today's post: never take things for granted and make sure you always offer something in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment